I got so caught up on Instagram with Me Made May that I forgot to blog six (6!!!) new makes. Clockwise from top left: a Cashmerette Springfield, two Love Notions Vivace Dolmans, an airplane-print Sew Liberated Estuary skirt, and two Cashmerette Websters. A couple of those patterns – the Vivace and the Webster – are new to me, and both were easy sews. Er, mostly. Attaching the collar on the Vivace may possibly have given me fits, both times, and it doesn’t lie quite as nicely as it should.
Thoughts on Me Made May: I sometimes get into a rut of wearing the same things over and over, and this challenge allowed me to put some thought into it and reach for the makes that I might not wear as often as I’d like. I don’t have enough handmade bottoms to make it through a month of only handmades, but I did have enough tops and dresses to not have to repeat anything – and I still have a few makes I didn’t wear during May.
I’ll definitely do it again. I’ll try to take better photos next time – my facial expressions on half of the photos were just this side of stormy.
In other news, I adopted a kitten from the rescue I volunteer with. Meet Reynir:
A friend gave me this cotton months ago, expecting that I might make a shower curtain or something similar out of it. But me being, well, me, I made a second Estuary instead.
We had quite a decent heavy snowfall going on, so I chose to stay in on New Year’s Eve and sew, instead. I worked on the skirt for a few hours then left the button-sewing for the morning, because ugh, button-sewing. I’m not a fan of sewing by hand, unfortunately, and my buttons never end up as perfect as I want them to be.
I had a bit of trouble with the skirt this time around but that was absolutely my own fault – somehow ended up sewing the wrong sides of things together more than once. Oops. That’s what happens, I guess, when I sew while distracted.
I went with the inseam pocket option this time, and I like it a lot because it’s attached at both the top and sides so the pockets don’t sag.
The fabric has a bit more body than the cotton I used for the last so it puffs out more around the waist and hem. It’s a big, ridiculous print and I love it to bits, honestly. I’ll probably wear it to work tomorrow.
Estuary skirt! Still having problems with indoor photos, but don’t focus on that, focus on how cute the skirt is. I’m so pleased with it – my body isn’t the easiest to fit skirts to, and often they end up looking just ‘meh’ rather than how I’d like them to. This one, though, is as close to ideal as I’ve ever gotten, and I feel like I’m going to wear it rather than having it sit in my closet like other aborted skirt attempts.
Pleased with the pattern, too. Instructions are clear, and some of the small details help avoid certain small pitfalls that can lead to a garment looking homemade rather than handmade. Like the pockets! The patch pockets are double-layer, and the instructions have you trim 1/8″ from the lining before easing the two layers together, which makes the seam pull slightly to the inside and hides it perfectly when you sew the pockets on.
I was sure I’d have to shorten the skirt, especially since it’s meant to be a midi and I’m so short, but because I wear it above my natural waist I didn’t have to shorten it at all. It ended up a great length all on its own.
I’ll definitely be making this one again. I’d like to make Sew Liberated’s Hinterland dress, too, but it doesn’t have as expanded of a size range as the Estuary skirt so I’d have to grade up. Aaand we all know how I feel about that. I do have their Matcha top pattern, but I don’t anticipate having to grade because it’s a loose, flowy silhouette and my issue is waist/hips where sizing is concerned.