Alterations, Etc.

A couple of months ago I had my medication changed, and a side effect of that was that I lost about 15 lbs rather accidentally; the clothes that I’ve made until now are still wearable but new makes do kinda need to be a different size. Which is a bit of a pain in the ass, as it means reprinting and reassembling my favourite patterns, as well as making new muslins for some. So that’s what I’m doing this afternoon – the print-and-assemble part, anyhow.

I need to find an adequate way to store my printed patterns, too. Until now I’ve had them piled beside my cutting table but that’s not particularly organised. I don’t like the idea of folding them because ugh, creases. Not sure I like the idea of rolling them any better. I’ve seen some people hang them from hangers with clips – might try that, maybe. If anyone has suggestions, I’m all ears.

Finn is helping me pick a project for when I’m done with my patterns. Sometimes I just need to take a bunch of fabric out and lay it everywhere so I can look at what I have. I’m leaning toward making a P4P Tulip Tee out of hedgehog-print jersey, but the one thing that gives me pause is that there aren’t finished measurements for anything but length. I know these are difficult when a pattern includes multiple variations, but it’s a particular pet peeve of mine – not everyone likes the same amount of ease in their clothing and finished measurements are often more important to me than body measurements when it comes to choosing a size.

Aaand Back!

The Good: After a month, I finally have my computer back from the repair shop.

The Bad: It’s near the end of its life and will have to be replaced sometime in the next couple of months.

The Random: I have thirteen (13!) finished sewing projects to share.

… But that’s if I manage to actually take photos of all of them. It’s a lot to do all at once, especially since I don’t have a safe place outside to leave my camera & tripod when I run inside to change – I have to bring it in with me every time.

So aside from sewing up a storm I also sorted and decluttered my fabric stash. Most of it I kept, but I did get rid of some inherited fabric that I didn’t particularly like and knew I’d never use. And I discovered (or re-discovered, really) that I have far too many cotton fat quarters, leftover from my bag-sewing phase. I have 67 of the things! Ack. Fab colours and patterns, but what am I going to do with them all?

Parker, as always, has been ‘helping’ with the making. I never sew alone.

I don’t have much free time left this evening, but I’m going to see if I can’t at least get my Everyday Dress cut out. It’s out of stashed cotton, because of course it is. I had to shorten it by six inches and it’s still going to be longer on me than it is on the pattern model. Being short is fun.

Again with the PJs

Three more pairs of pajama pants from the same 5 Out of 4 pattern, because when I said I wanted to use up the mystery flannel in my stash, I meant it. I have enough left for one more pair and for a blankie for the cats, but I need a break from clothing that I can’t even wear at this time of year. I suppose I could have waited until fall to deal with the flannel, but then I’d have to have it in the stash all summer, looking at me. Yep.

The yellow pair is made from the strangest, stiffest flannel I’ve ever felt. It’s still adequately comfortable, at least.

The future-cat-blankie fabric was popular when I laid it out as a decoy so the cats would stop attempting to sleep on my pants-in-progress. I figure I’ll just fold up the edges and zip around them with the machine so they don’t fray, and then the little monsters can have their soft fabric fix without furring up whatever I’m working on.

Leafy Montrose Hack

The universe tried to defeat me today as far as photos go. It was cold and windy with a thick layer of grey cloud, and I had equipment issues, to boot. I misplaced the quick-release plate from my tripod, so the only real option I had was the edge of the parking lot where I could set my camera on a car; then the remote refused to work so I had to resort to setting a ten-second timer and scrambling into place after each click.

Issues aside – yay, I have a new dress! It’s a Montrose hack. I lengthened the hem and flared it some, gave it a mild high-low cut, then added elastic and a fabric tie belt to the underbust. I should have traced the edited pattern pieces before putting the dress together, but I didn’t think about it at the time, so if I decide to make another in the same style (which I likely will) I’ll have to pin the dress out and trace from there.

I swore I was not going to be that person who puts a photo of her cats in every post, but Parker’s asleep face-down on a pile of seersucker and it’s the cutest thing.

Stash Enhancement, and Some Fuzz

Look at the fabulousness that arrived today from Funky Monkey Fabrics!

Not pictured is 2 yards of purple travel knit. The lemon-print fabric is cotton/spandex knit, and the rest are woven cottons. The fox-print is slated to become a Montrose with black sleeves, and the rest… well. I haven’t quite decided. Tops, I’m sure, but I haven’t settled on which.

But speaking of Montrose, I’m working on a dress hack at the moment from some leaf-print green cotton that’s been in my stash for at least five years. I need to sew in elastic and waist ties plus hem the sleeves and such and it’ll be done… probably not in time to take photos outside before the sun sets, though, and tomorrow it’s supposed to rain. Hmph.

Parker is ‘helping’ with the process, naturally.

He’s not actually much help, but he’s cute enough to make up for it.