Foxy, and: Release the Kraken!

Another overcast day and I’m still doing the timer-and-scramble technique with the camera since I’m remote-less at the moment. I’m also still on a Montrose kick, as I’m the type of person who, when she finds a pattern she likes and that fits well, wants to make one in every colour and every print in existence.

Yes, the hems pull up in the front, likely because of my protruding belly. I don’t hate the look of it, on me, so I’m not yet in a hurry to make adjustments to counter it.

It doesn’t show well in the photo but the black-and-orange print has little foxes! I loved both fabrics as soon as I saw them (I’m a sucker for cute/fun prints) but there was just a metre and a half left on the fox bolt so I used a scrap of black cotton for the sleeves. I also used store-bought bias tape for the neckline, which isn’t my favourite as it tends to be stiffer than I’d like.

I’m thinking about my next projects, now, and being super-indecisive. I have no problems grading between sizes – it’s necessary for a good fit, for me – but I often find myself balking at grading up entire patterns when they don’t come in my size. Not because I can’t, but because I’d rather support pattern makers who include me in their measurements. That gets difficult, at times, because I’m often at the upper edge of even so-called plus-size sewing patterns.

Leafy Montrose Hack

The universe tried to defeat me today as far as photos go. It was cold and windy with a thick layer of grey cloud, and I had equipment issues, to boot. I misplaced the quick-release plate from my tripod, so the only real option I had was the edge of the parking lot where I could set my camera on a car; then the remote refused to work so I had to resort to setting a ten-second timer and scrambling into place after each click.

Issues aside – yay, I have a new dress! It’s a Montrose hack. I lengthened the hem and flared it some, gave it a mild high-low cut, then added elastic and a fabric tie belt to the underbust. I should have traced the edited pattern pieces before putting the dress together, but I didn’t think about it at the time, so if I decide to make another in the same style (which I likely will) I’ll have to pin the dress out and trace from there.

I swore I was not going to be that person who puts a photo of her cats in every post, but Parker’s asleep face-down on a pile of seersucker and it’s the cutest thing.

Stash Enhancement, and Some Fuzz

Look at the fabulousness that arrived today from Funky Monkey Fabrics!

Not pictured is 2 yards of purple travel knit. The lemon-print fabric is cotton/spandex knit, and the rest are woven cottons. The fox-print is slated to become a Montrose with black sleeves, and the rest… well. I haven’t quite decided. Tops, I’m sure, but I haven’t settled on which.

But speaking of Montrose, I’m working on a dress hack at the moment from some leaf-print green cotton that’s been in my stash for at least five years. I need to sew in elastic and waist ties plus hem the sleeves and such and it’ll be done… probably not in time to take photos outside before the sun sets, though, and tomorrow it’s supposed to rain. Hmph.

Parker is ‘helping’ with the process, naturally.

He’s not actually much help, but he’s cute enough to make up for it.