Make #4 for 2021 – a sleeveless Hinterland dress. This is another one I’ve been meaning to make for ages, and in this case, I even had the fabric pre-washed and ready to go. For, er, a while now. But! Now it’s done. It was a quick and easy sew with few alterations. Fabric is quilting cotton because of course it is.
I took an inch off the bodice above the bust dart (a standard adjustment for me) but the dart is tilted as-drafted and therefore ended up a bit too high. I’ll take off an inch below the dart next time.
The button placket is fake, and not in the usual buttons-sewn-through-both-plackets way. I cheated by cutting the bodice on the fold, then folding the edges under on an extra strip of fabric and topstitching it in place. Adding the placket was a last-minute decision after the dress was mostly complete, and I didn’t love the idea of unpicking half my work to add a functional one. Next time, maybe.
Discovered that my stitch-in-the-ditch foot is excellent for 1/8″-from-edge topstitching if I align the needle to the left instead of the centre. I just got the foot a few days ago, along with an adjustable hem foot, a zipper foot, and an invisible zipper foot. I’m slowly collecting little bits and pieces to make my sewing life easier.